Dog Paw Balm Protects from Road Salt
Now that we've covered the very real danger of road salt to your dog's health this winter, we also need to provide some expert guidance to help you make sure this very real problem doesn't affect your best friend. Much of the same advice for preventing canine frostbite also applies to protecting your dog from the dangers of road salt.
Neoprene Dog Boots
Protecting your dog's paws from road salt is pretty easy if you've been successful training your pooch to wear these very effective boots.Forming a solid barrier between the paw and the roadway, doggie boots provide a great deal of protection.
While they sound like a great idea, for me -- they don't work too well. I admit, it's very likely my fault. I'm sure if I were a better trainer, that my dog would probably volunteer to wear them.
If I had begun training her since she was a puppy, almost certainly we would not have the battle of wills that now occurs every time she looks my way and I even think of these boots.
In the end, they don't work if she doesn't wear them -- so doggie boots aren't a good solution for me and my dog.
Musher's Secret Pet Paw Protection Wax
This product was developed in Canada for use by sled dog teams, commonly called "Mushers". Primarily used near and above the arctic circle, Musher's Secret has been effective in cold weather paw protection. The exact ingredients are a closely guarded secret. As stated on their label, Musher's Secret contains, "a blend of 100% pure natural waxes (including White and Yellow Beeswax, Carnauba, and Candelilla Wax) and vegetable oils with vitamin E".
With a simple formula and manufacturing process, Musher's Secret has been duplicated many times by several other companies. Many of these products originate in China, where raw materials are much less expensive to source - and the ingredients are not closely regulated.
What are the positives of Musher's Secret and the other common dog paw balms formulated to mimic Musher's Secret?
Making a product that gets hard in the snow isn't hard, so Musher's Secret and the multiple other common paw balms generally work in cold weather. They harden and form a shell around your dog's paws - providing a degree of protection from the elements.Price:
Since the ingredients of Musher's Secret and the other common paw balms are generally sourced from China, and the product process used to make these products is shared - the cost to manufacture is very low. For a 2 ounce container of product, you can expect to pay around $14.95 (US). This is a reasonable price that most people can afford - making dog paw protection attainable for almost every dog parent.
What are some of the negatives or unknowns of Musher's Secret and the other common dog paw balms formulated to mimic Musher's Secret?
Let's be honest. There is a reason that raw materials cost less when imported from certain countries. The safety and quality of those ingredients can be questionable. Over the years, multiple pet products from China have been recalled due to product safety concerns. Many of these products were found to contain deadly ingredients such as lead or arsenic. Since you dog will very likely lick his or her paws at some point while wearing a paw balm, the safety of the ingredients are of the utmost importance.
Cost:There's a difference between price and cost. While these paw balms may be cheaper than a high quality premium product, the overall cost is much higher. For example, at $14.95 for a two-ounce container, the price per ounce is $7.50. Then when we look at how much we need to apply to be effective, and the frequency of the application (due to the lower quality ingredients) - a two ounce tin will likely only last for 4 or maybe 5 applications. Your overall cost per application is around $3.75. A high quality paw balm, with a higher initial purchase price will give you better results, with fewer applications and reduce your overall cost per application.
Baely's Paw Shield & Baely's Paw Shield Rescue Stick
Very simply, our family's product is the best paw balm available on the market. If you try Baely's Paw Shield and disagree, just let me know and I will make it right. I'm always available through e-mail or Facebook messenger.
What makes Baely's Paw Shield and Baely's Paw Shield Rescue Stick better than other products?
- Like all of our products, Baely's is Made in America with 100% of ingredients purchased in America.
Baely's is completely safe to lick.
- We're dog lovers too. We developed Baely's knowing that dogs lick their paws sometimes. So we made our formula with 100% food grade ingredients from FDA registered suppliers.
- Our product is the only Paw Balm with the NIRC Seal (Natural Ingredients Resource Center).
Our formula is different. Unlike other products, Baely's Paw Shield is made of ingredients that are solid at room temperature. Why does this matter?
- Our product does not stain carpets or hardwood. Since it's solid, just wipe up any residue.
- Our product also provides hot weather protection. It doesn't melt like the other products.
We make our product different.
- The reason we can use better ingredients is because of how we make Baely's Paw Shield. Our process to make our product is very controlled and allows us to incorporate ingredients that help soothe and condition the skin. Other companies just heat, melt and pour. They can't compare with our process.
- As a family-owned small business, our company is dedicated to your complete happiness. If you need us, we're here and we care.
- You don't have to take my word for any of this - just checkout our hundreds of Verified Customer Reviews at TrustSpot or at Amazon.
- On a per-use basis, Baely's Paw Shield and Baely's Rescue Stick are much less expensive than your common paw balm.
- The quality of our ingredients means that you will use less, and our larger size means you get more for your money.
- With your support, referrals and repeat business, we hope to some day open our own Foster Sanctuary.
In the end, your choice as a consumer is yours to make. At Baely's, we hope that we have been able to provide some great information that will help you take better care of your dog's paws this winter. If you are looking to buy a dog paw protection balm, we truly hope that you will consider our products.
If you are in need of grooming supplies, please also consider us first. While we can't meet every need, we hope we can offer you a better alternative to some of your needs.
If you need any assistance or if you have any questions, please don't hesitate to reach out. I love to hear from you and will do my best to help. This winter, please take care of your dog. Please share this article with a friend or family member so we can all remember to be aware of this very real danger to our best friends.